Think back to elementary school. Who were you closest friends? Who did you hang out with all the time? Maybe you spent every single second with the same one or two friends for years, but then, as you got older, something changed. You can’t put your finger on why, but, for some reason, you just drifted apart. The same could be said for a lot of us when it comes to our relationship with God. At some point you used to be close to Him, but lately, you just aren’t. And even though you go to church and hear how much God wants a relationship with you, you feel like being close to Him is difficult, complicated, and nearly impossible at times. This week, we’re going to take a look at Abraham and the lengths God went to in order to pursue a close relationship with him. And as you see how much God wanted a relationship with him, maybe you’ll begin to understand the lengths He’s gone to be close to you, too.
BOTTOM LINE: God is always drawing us in God's direction.
- What’s the best thing about being close to someone?
- What’s one thing that makes you nervous about being close to God?
- When do you feel closest to God? When do you feel most distant?
2 I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. 3 I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.”
Genesis 15:6 New Living Translation (NLT)
6 And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.
- God wanted a relationship with Abram before Abram did anything to deserve it. Why is it hard to believe that God wants a relationship with you regardless of what you have or haven’t done?
- How would you relate to God differently if trusted this statement: God is more concerned with us being close than He is in us being perfect?
- What does it look like to be close to God, even in the midst of you not having it all together?
- What’s one word that you think describes how God feels about you? How does that word impact your day-to-day life?
(Name), you are a Child of God